7.29.2013

Weigh In: Weeks 12 & 13 and BONUS! Life Update

Apparently, I don't blog on Fridays, even when I have a weekly reason to do so. I'm trying to avoid apologizing for not blogging, but I would like to give some reasons for it, at least as it pertains to the most recent Friday I experienced. But first, to the stats!

Original Weight: 312.0 lbs
Today's Weight: 297.0 lbs
Week's Change: +0.6 lbs
Total Loss: -15.0 lbs
And THAT is the reason I didn't post two Fridays ago. Because it is just too damn disheartening to write an entire post about GAINING weight for TWO WEEKS in a row, even if the gain is a measly half a pound. So I thought I would wait until the next week when I would have better news and write them both at the same time (as if becoming the pattern anyway). And then I began to fret about another gain and how desperately sad I would be to have to write an entire post about gaining weight for THREE weeks in a row without even a small loss to buffer the woe. 

But I also decided to make some changes. Because even though I was doing everything right, I was gaining, so I must have been doing SOMETHING wrong. I went to my leader, since, you know, this is EXACTLY why she's there and she suggested that I "eat more protein" and avoid sodium ("Campbell's soup isn't really good for you..." in a helpfully condescending tone). Then she helpfully illustrated that "some calories are better than others" and I had flashbacks to 9th Grade English and Animal Farm. Because, FINE, maybe some calories will keep you full longer and some add very little nutritive value to your diet. 100 calories of cake versus 100 calories of lean protein are going to give you different benefits. BUT! For the purposes of weight loss, in a program ENTIRELY BASED on the idea that weight loss is simple mat: calories IN - calories OUT = change in weight. Basically, I call bullshit. (Sorry for the swearing, Mom, but sometimes I just have to)

ANYway, her advice was obviously supremely unhelpful, but I still decided to up my game. I hadn't been going to bed at a reasonable time and I was kind of phoning it in with my packed lunches because I was so tired in the morning. I was still completely on plan and doing it right, but I was getting bored AND it didn't seem to be working. I made a schedule and a meal plan. I was going to get up at 5:00 am on Mondays and Wednesdays to go to the gym, since I'm paying for the membership and not using it. I was also going to go after my WW meetings on Fridays. And I did that Friday. That Sunday, I made these Egg Muffins I found through Miriel's blog so that I would have fast protein in the morning. I set an alarm on my phone reminding me to go to bed at a reasonable hour to get up for a workout. I sorted all of my snacks into individual containers with points labels (which I had been avoiding because it's a little bit of a time thing and I was lazy). On Monday, I was at the gym by 5:25. And then my week kind of went to hell.

I won't go into all the gory details, but my job has been tough for a while (read: since my first day) because the expectations expressed in my interview and my offer letter are rather different from the actual expectations of my position. So  I spent the majority of Monday and Tuesday doing someone else's job under the guise of cross-training and it was...tough. So Wednesday, I did not get up and work out. On Thursday, I woke up, looked in the mirror, and thought, "My hair's not that bad..." So I didn't even shower. That's the level of interest I had in my week. "But," I told myself, "You will take your gym bag with you to work and go to the gym on your way home on Thursday." Then a somewhat-giant-but-I-hesitate-to-actually-call-it-giant crisis happened at work at about 4:30 pm on Thursday and I did not leave the office until 10:00 pm.

So that was my week. BUT! Praise Jesus for these next stats:

Original Weight: 312.0 lbs
Today's Weight: 292.6 lbs
Week's Change: -4.4 lbs
Total Loss: -19.4 lbs
So that helped make up for that. I wanted (actually wanted, I know, what is wrong with me?) to go to the gym on Friday, but I was running out of time to get my license switched from Far North to Texas, so I got my exercise by frustratedly jiggling my leg while sitting in an uncomfortable chair for two and a half hours at a Driver's License Office. In related news, I am now officially a Texan. I also now have a library card and will soon have a local bank account. I spent the rest of the day reading books and finishing the eighth season of How I Met your Mother.

That paragraph is probably not what most of you would call a BONUS! Sorry. That's all I've got.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for big loss! I know they like to say things at that point like don't lose to fast or something else dumb, but seriously sometimes you need that to keep going. After a month of consistently only losing .5 a week I am more than a little discouraged myself. I haven't actually weighed in in two weeks thanks to some massive life crazy. Between work and house remodeling I have had no free time. Ive also not been sleeping and have had more McDonalds in the last two weeks than in the two months before. I am not actually looking forward to stepping on the scale again.

    ReplyDelete