1.04.2012

Enough About Me. How Are YOU?

Have I said lately how much I love my readers? Well, since I haven't been saying much of anything for a while now, I guess not. So here goes, YOU GUYS ROCK! The comments you left me on my last post made me smile all day long. And it made me realize that, although I totally needed to write that post, if only for therapeutic reasons, I was being pretty negative and very self-focused.

SO! To remedy that, today I want to hear about you!

1. How did YOUR year go? You can do the list thing that I did, summarize each month, or even just used a general "It went badly!" or "IT WAS THE BEST YEAR OF MY LIFE!" But I want to know how you feel about 2011, the Year of Ugliness and Pain the Year of "Character Building" Moments.

2. Do you do resolutions?
       a. If so, what are a few of yours? Are you good at keeping them?
       b. If not, do you do something else like set goals or make wishes or just hold on tight and hope for the best/expect the worst?

3. What do you hope for in the next year? Even if you're not a resolutions kind of person, you probably have expectations for the next 360 days (give or take a few, since I can't be bothered to look at today's date or check to see if it's some kind of leap year, which has always seemed like a slightly ridiculous concept to me and by ridiculous, I mean I don;t really get it...), so what are your EXPECTATIONS?

4. What do you already have planned? Are you going on a big trip or expecting a child? Planning a wedding or about to undertake a big move? Aside from the"expectations," what do you ALREADY know about this elusive beast, the Year of 2012?

Basically, I just want to know more about you. And I want to know how everyone else felt about 2011, may it die a fiery death be a jumping off point for many good years to come. Plus, I'd like to be a little bit less self-involved. Because I could medal in navel-gazing if it were an Olympic event. And by navel-gazing, I mean being self-centered. Because I find little pleasure in gazing at my ACTUAL navel, which is surrounded by more flab than I care to admit and has never been a gaze-worthy navel. Wait. What am I typing? I have no idea. This is what happens when I try to blog while tweeting AND texting with two different people. Forget everything after "self-involved," okay? Thanks.

12 comments:

  1. Woman! I have missed you like a person who misses an arm that has suddenly and inexplicably been lopped off. Which is to say, I've missed you a whole lot. 2011 sucked a fat one and it can kiss my ass. But it was also awesome in so many ways and actually ended as one of the best years of my life. I don't do resolutions because nothing says setting yourself up for failure like new year's resolutions. I hope to see you on the twatter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry 2011 was such a rough one! It's wonderful that you have so many loving people in your life to help you through.

    2011 was a year of teeth-gritting: just getting through. I expect that much of 2012 will be that way as well. That doesn't mean there hasn't been/won't be good things, too! But sometimes you just have to put your head down and power through, and that's what I've been doing and probably will continue doing for the foreseeable future.

    I don't make my own resolutions, but (as I posted about today) I have been freely borrowing resolutions from others. All the fun of making resolutions, none of the responsibility if they don't take!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah Pearson1/6/12, 6:54 AM

    2011 was the year of trying seriously to write. 2012 will be the year of trying seriously to publish :-)

    Also, it will be the year I finally hit my target weight :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2011 was pretty... ok. People close to me had rough years. I got something I'd wanted for a while (pregnant) so that helped. My dad's cancer came back & he had to start chemo again, so that sucked. My uncle got the same-but-different cancer (someday I'll bore you will all my knowledge of pancreatic cancer, promise!) so that was double sucky. But me & 19 of my friends/acquaintances are pregnant, so, there's some life to balance the dark, right?

    I'm not good at resolutions, but I have some GOALS. To get the house more organized so we can then ruin all of that by getting ourselves up to our eyeballs in tiny baby stuff.

    I expect to have a baby. Honestly, it sounds so repetitive & self-centered, but much of my focus & energy is directed towards preparing mentally, spiritually & physically for the arrival of this tiny person that I already love & haven't even met yet... it's very strange. ANd I know that nothing can really prepare me for the reality of it, and I'm ok with that too.

    I have a big trip planned--to PHX (pending doctor approval still, but I'm hopeful!) and then almost 2 months after that, a baby. I... I just don't even know how those things are so close and yet still feel so far away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to hear from you, might you be attending #wineparty tonight? HEY!!! I just had an AWESOME idea! Let's eat bacon and call it #SWINEPARTY! Get it? lol, I crack myself up, I really do. Let's see, 2011 was "The Year of Suck" for me. In January my divorce became final (I'd been married for 18 years). In April I found my ex-husband, dead at his apartment. At the funeral his mother told everyone I'd killed him. The next day his sister drove down and STOLE EVERYTHING FROM HIS APARTMENT, including my children's toys. Then in May my ex-sister inlaw unfriended my daughter and will have nothing to do with her. In November I lost my job and 2 weeks later my son was tentatively diagnosed with Autism (he has the formal eval in February, but the Developmental Pediatrician who diagnosed him actually HAS Aspergers himself, so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about). Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed you, too! You and I have both been absent from the Internet lately. I'm so glad we're both back! AND? I'm so glad your year ended well. It sounds like it ended better than just "well"! I'll need tto hear about it sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh have I been there! Sometimes I think we go through seasons of just gritting our teeth and white-knuckling it through. But I hope that season doesn't last very long for you! I pray that you will wake up one day soon and realize that you're doing so much more than just surviving--that's going to be a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I sound like a broken record, but WE ARE THE SAME! I will probably spend much of 2012 writing instead of trying to get published (but who knows), but 2011 was definitely the year of seriously writing for the first time. And 2012 MUST be a year I get my weight under control. Because, holy geez my pants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say this with the caveat that I have never been pregnant: I think I understand what you're talking about. I've spent a significant (read: more than is reasonable) amount of time imagining what it will/could be like to be pregnant and I struggle with the ideas of an internal baby versus an external baby. Well, to tell the truth, I struggle with the concept of an INTERNAL baby at all. ;)

    And what a strange coincidence! I, too, have a trip planned to Phoenix about 2 months before your baby is due! Small world, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Year of suck, Yvonne. YEAR OF SUCK! I actually thought about you quite a bit while I was writing my year recap thingy. I kept thinking about YOUR year list from twitter and thinking, I HAVE NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.

    But, instead of making me feel like my year was AWESOME in comparison (which would be a very lame and self-centered way to look at YOUR year of suck), it just made me extra sad for 2011. And extra anxious for it to be in the past.

    So, dear dear Yvonne? I pray that 2012 is the YEAR OF HOPE, the YEAR OF HEALING, the YEAR OF BEAUTY AND EVERYTHING THAT DOESN'T SUCK. For you. And for me. And for all of my readers.

    And I would totally join you for #SWINEPARTY! Bacon and wine? Two of my very favorite things... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let's see. My year was great, because I had a baby, and that was awesome. This year I am going to PJs at TJ's, and we are going to New York, and we are hoping to go visit my husband's parents in Germany at Christmas. So hopefully it will be a good year too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am great. I will be spending the year as a 40 year old graduate student trying to balance being an employee and parent as well. I hope you have a wonderful 2012.

    ReplyDelete